[Gta04-owner] Linux 3.7 for gta04 "ARM architectures can use one single vanilla Linux kernel"

Glenn glenn.mh.dk at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 13:10:36 CET 2012

On 11/12/12 05.52, NeilBrown wrote:
> Now that 3.7 is out, my 'mainline' branch in
>    git://neil.brown.name/gta04
>
> has a 3.7 based kernel that seems to work on the gta04.
>
> I say "seems to" because I don't seem to charge the battery and there are
> possibly other things that don't work - I've only done limited testing.
>
> I've included the "f2fs" filesystem in this release as I think it is
> something worth experimenting with on uSD cards.  I plan to move my root
> filesystem to f2fs once I'm happy that 3.7 is stable.
>
> I don't recommend using this as the base for a distro as it isn't tested much
> and I plan do do some development work on.  When I think it is stable and
> decide to leave it alone for a while and create a 3.7-gta04 branch to hold it.
>
> I might push to to github too, but neil.brown.name now has much better
> network connectivity so you should have no problems using it directly.
>
> Bug reports, success report, patches etc etc always welcome.
>
> NeilBrown

Will we (GTA0x-owners) also benefit from this?:

Linux 3.7 arrives, ARM developers rejoice:
http://www.zdnet.com/linux-3-7-arrives-arm-developers-rejoice-7000008638/
Quote: "...
Now with 3.7, ARM architectures can use one single vanilla Linux kernel
<http://lwn.net/Articles/496400/> while keeping their special device
sauce in device trees.
The end result is that ARM developers will be able to boot and run Linux
on their devices and then worry about getting all the extras to work.
This will save them, and the Linux kernel developers, a great deal of
time and trouble.
[GTA05?:]
Just as good for those ARM architects and programmers who are working on
high-end, 64-bit ARM systems, Linux now supports 64-bit ARM processors.
64-bit ARM CPUs won't ship until in commercial quantities until 2013
<http://www.zdnet.com/amd-unveils-plans-for-64-bit-arm-processors-for-servers-7000006549/>
...."

Glenn