$100 computers (was: Microtouch)

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Wed Feb 8 21:51:26 CET 2012

Shawn Rutledge <shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com> writes:

> With an Atmel it sounds like a dancing bear to me; it has so little
> memory that you basically have to use it only for fixed purposes, like
> the games they show.  No dynamic languages or possibility of
> downloading much content.

$100 would also get you Qi Hardware's Nanonote units, which is
comparable to a Raspberry Pi + monitor + keyboard that you can
actually carry in your pocket and use on the go (comes with
a Li-ion battery, runs for ~9 hours in my experience).

I have one. I like it. I use it mainly as a smart music-player;
I've also written and run some Python and Scheme programs on it
(so, it makes a nice `programmer's calculator' for, e.g.: solving
 recursive problems).

Not sure what others do with theirs.

A couple of friends also have them, and it seems to take about
3 days between ordering from Sharism in Hong Kong and having them
arrive on our doorsteps in the US.