[Gta04-owner] How to bring forward the community?

Joerg Eesmann jeesmann at gmx.de
Mon Feb 27 21:10:18 CET 2012

Hi,
for me the biggest problem in GTA02 is the sound quality in calls.
And it seems to be, that there are problems with echo in GTA04, too.
But GTA04 is OMAP3 based, and OMAP3 has a DSP on board. In the
beagleboard, there was a SW-component called DSP-bridge, and when I
recall correctly the DSP can be directly be fed with McBSP data. So if
the McBSP routing to and from the DSP would be possible, the DSP could
do the echo canceling and any possible sound shaping.
So there are some questions:
Is the DSP activated in the Kernel for GTA04?
Is the routing of the McBSP-data to and from the DSP possible?

I guess the main CPU could sleep during call, leaving the rest to the
DSP.
Would this idea be feasible?

I would love to work on this, if I find the time (I have some experience
with signal processing and programming DSPs, but no speech processing),
but I doubt I could do it alone.
I could do my tests on a beagleboard (with GTA04/Hybrid), which I
already have.

BR,
Joerg