[Shr-User] Openmoko Cummunity Survey 2011 – Results

Lukas Märdian lukasmaerdian at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 9 14:11:01 CET 2012

The poll was open for about 3 weeks now and we got votes from 185
people. Thanks to all those who participated and thus helped to decide
on the future of the Om community.

I decided to close the poll now and release the results to the
mailinglists. To create a ranking I gave 1 point to a "YES" vote and 0.5
points to a "(YES)" vote. The maximum (100%) is 73 points.

The rankings didn't change in round 2 of this poll. Just the percentages
changed in a range of +-5%.

RANKINGS:
=========
Software Side:
1. SHR                  112.5 points    (61%)
2. QtMoko                99.5 points    (54%)
3. Debian                75.5 points    (41%)
4. Other Distro          40.0 points    (22%)

Hardware Side:
1. Om GTA02             158.5 points    (86%)
2. Goldelico GTA04       71.0 points    (38%)
3. Nokia N900            34.0 points    (18%)
4. Other Device          26.0 points    (14%)
5. Palm Pre (+variants)  14.5 points    ( 8%)
6. Om GTA01               9.5 points    ( 5%)
7. Google Nexus S         7.0 points    ( 4%)

On the software side SHR is still the most popular distro, directly
followed by QtMoko. Quiet a few people commented, that they intend to
code their own software/GUI mostly to educated themselves.

On the hardware side the Om GTA02 is the clear winner, followed by the
Goldelico GTA04. Even though very few people have a GTA04, yet, there
seems to be quite some interest.

COMMENTS:
=========
sanvy:
Debian: Defora OS for developing
SHR: only in case of emergency
QtMoko: never used qt after qtextended, but i follow changelogs.
Other distro: Android Cupcake
GTA04: only if the price goes under 300€
I use FR as daily phone since 2008.

Macros:
My Openmoko Screen is currently broken and I haven't yet found time to
fix it. My N900 has an hardware issue. The internal memory has gone
"crazy" and the writing errors destory the OS after a few days. When I
send it to nokia care, the reflash the OS and it breaks again. Even
though I gave them a detailed description.
Other device: G1 Android. It feels crappy and like I am tied to a brick
but at least my only working phone

Evgeniy:
Other device: Samsung Galaxy S

Maximilian:
Other distro: Android
Other device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
GTA04: if the pris goes at least under 300 EUR

Pinky:
Other device comment: Acer N35 (sometimes -is pretty old)

Niels Heyvaert:
AoF is missing on this list

Jorge Costa:
"the problem is that android 2.2 is too slow for common..."

Jorge Costa:
I have a few must have needs in my phone: google contact sync(over
2000contacts), gps+maps, GPRS+wifi.
so far only android 2.2 fullfilled all of these, QTMOKO allows me to
sync my contacts from google contacts, but the address book in unusable
as it doesn't have a search function. (scrolling through contacts is
impossible).
The problem is that 2.2 is too slow for common day usage, and it crashes
quite often

guyou:
qtMoko makes my GTA2 a daily phone. If I have to change, I wish a phone
with keyboard, like N900.

aloniv:
Qtmoko works as a phone other than GPRS (which crashes the phone) and
encrypted wifi (which I wasn't able to setup via the graphical
interface). Om2009 actually provides GPRS, phone functionality and
wireless (via Saskia) quite well, although the phone software is very
very basic. I couldn't receive SMS messages with SHR and Debian's
default phone software wasn't usable (no sound was played when receiving
a call). Hackable1 wasn't usable as a phone either (couldn't receive calls).

losinggeneration:
Only QtMoko actually works for me, SHR is unable to receive SMS
messages, & I also use Android-on-freerunner 2.2 some, but it's quite slow.

pothos:
Android-on-Freerunner 2.2

Muhammad Ayaz:
I have N900 but Installation process of SHR is too much difficult as I
am window user and noob to Linux, If possible Community should write
some easy tutorial for installation. Thanks

rhn:
After switching to n900 when my GTA02 died, I'm never switching back to
a phone without any form of physical keyboard. Otherwise I'd be
interested in GTA04.

blat:
Other OS: Nemo Mobile (based on Mer)

Mirv:
Other device: Nokia N9. I try to keep
http://wiki.debian.org/Mobile/Nokia_N9 about up-to-date, while most of
the distro action currently is on Mer/Nemo side.

Nick Sheppard:
I've been using my GTA02 as my everyday phone for a year and a half,
first with SHR, then QtMoko v24, then SHR again. I've just signed up for
the GTA04 Group Tour.
I've tinkered with Android-on-FreeRunner, and I'd be interested in a
NetBSD port, especially since I discovered that Android took a lot of
its userland glibc from NetBSD and OpenBSD.
Finally MANY thanks to all involved in the FreeRunner project - this
community has made the Freerunner my favorite toy!

Ed:
I run gentoo as the OS on my GTA02 and want to write my own phone app
too, just for fun. So i like an OS that has as little dependencies as
possible, and a distro that uses well established software for wifi
(wpa_supplicant), Bluetooth (Bluez), Gps (gpsd) etc.

Rezza:
I sold my GTA02 (now I'm sad, I'd like to get one again , now using
N9 (Harmattan PR 1.1), I have also N950 (Harmattan PR 1.2) and N900
(with Maemo 5 and Nemo) and one pre-production C7

JLuis:
I will try to get a N900 or a samsung Galaxy S

Zeroedout:
Other distro: AoF (Android on Freerunner), not usually as daily use,
mostly just for testing cool android things and seeing if there are
performance / stability improvements.

urodelo:
Other distro: android for gta02/gta04 and/or replicant; webos on gta04
if it'll be available/worth

Robin:
Other distro is the android port for the freerunner for my wife's phone.
with two kids to feed and just one income the gta04 is unfortunately
about 75eur too expensive (compared to the early bird fee). may another
poll to see how many people have an interest in really buying the gta04
at certain fees would good.

Boudewijn:
(Yes), ifneedbe, I use a Motorola A780. Mostly that's not necessary, but
sometimes for weeks in a row, something seems "wrong" with my Freerunner
and/or the software.

jogness:
For my GTA02 and GTA04 I plan on putting together my own rootfs and
write my own applications for a mobile phone interface that fits to what
I want. Until I get that far, I'm using QtMoko. My only interests: speed
and functionality.

Yoram:
I would love to have GTA04 but it's not possible for me righ now. I use
WebOS on Pre 3 and will be happy to have supported free distro for it.

pini:
Debian + QtMoko : because QtMoko installs itself on top of Debian
GTA04 : I don't have one yet, but I'm on the next group buy. And I'll
fallback to one from stock if the group

Matthias:
Other distro comment: I'd like to use a *BSD port

LINKS:
======
Source: http://www.doodle.com/sh6insnivnvqyz7h