I2C and GPS

Benjamin Deering ben_deering at swissmail.org
Wed Jan 11 03:52:00 CET 2012

Dusting off a very old thread...

I have both of my sensors working and good gps performance now.

This weekend I opened the position settings->satellite details dialog in
SHR as well as my phone and tried a few things.  I was seeing serious
signal loss as soon as I connected the SCL line from the sensor to the
test pad near the debug connector.  I tried wrapping the SCL wire around
a ferrite bead, and putting a decoupling cap between power and ground
near the sensor.  What ended up working was adding a series resistor on
the SCL line.  I grabbed a largeish SMD resistor from some volkswagen
parts I had laying around
(http://www.jeepingben.net/plog-content/thumbs/2010/volkswagen/large/995-dscf2246.jpg).
I thought I was grabbing a 470 ohm, but I guess it was 4.7k (marked
472).  With this resistor in series everything works.  I don't know if
anyone else is adding i2c sensors to their freerunner, but I thought
this might be helpful.

Ben