Re: Openmoko Community Survey 2011 – Results

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Jan 16 09:31:23 CET 2012

The discussion of the poll run by Lukas suggested to ask for acceptable
prices for a new Openmoko device.

>>> Openmoko Community Survey 2011 – please take part!
>>> We decided to start a poll about which hardware and which software you
>>> use or are interested in these days. The results will help us to
>>> focus on relevant hard-/software.
>>
>> ... about 75eur too expensive (compared to the early bird fee). may another
>> poll to see how many people have an interest in really buying the gta04
>> at certain fees would good.
>
> Making a price poll is a good idea! We may learn how to better size
> and define the price for the next group tour.
>
> So please use this form to give your statement:
>
> 	http://www.handheld-linux.com/wiki.php?page=GTA04%20Poll
>
> I will publish the results when they become significant.

Here are the results (which I think are quite significant):

Q1: What would be the maximum price at which you immediately
     would buy a GTA04 Complete device (considering its high-end
     feature set)?
     ____ EUR (incl. sales tax if applicable)

Q2: What would be the maximum price at which you grudgingly
     (unwillingly) would still buy a GTA04 Complete device, if it is
     not available at the price said above?
     ____ EUR (incl. sales tax if applicable)

Note: Q2 was added after approx. 30 responses arrived. For those
early answers, it is assumed Q1=Q2 although we would have to
expect a real answer of Q2 > Q1.

So we have collected:

* a total of N=109 answers (see appendix)
* some answers where the unwillingly-price is lower than the
 immediately-price (our English may not have been optimally
 formulated)
* Min Q1: 50 EUR Q2: 100 EUR
* Max Q1: 800 EUR Q2: 950 EUR
* Avg Q1: 323,29 EUR Q2: 363,05 EUR
* Median Q1: 200 EUR Q2: 300 EUR
* 25/75 span Q1: 200-300 EUR Q2: 250-450 EUR

By cumulating answers and plotting over different price levels we
can see how different prices influence how many GTA04 devices
would be bought.

(read as: at 500 EUR 20% of the respondents tell they would buy immediately)

Q1:

http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/gta04-owner/attachments/20120116/cb849e81/attachment-0002.pdf

Q2:

http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/gta04-owner/attachments/20120116/cb849e81/attachment-0003.pdf

Let me describe my first observations from these figures (not deeply
elaborated):

1. this result shows that we have a very large bandwidth what we
see as an acceptable price. For some of us the current price (which is
production cost driven) is ok, while for others it is far too high.

2. I find it interesting that there is no big difference between Q1 and Q2
which indicates that we either buy immediately or are just willing to add
50 EUR to make us unwilling buyers. This appears to be a strong
"mental level of maximum acceptable price". Or is it just available budget? If
we have it we buy immediately, if we don't we can't even buy unwillingly?
Or is it driven by the addition of Q2 only after 30 responses on Q1 only?

3. at the current price of the GTA04 group tour (450-500 EUR range) we
can expect approx. 30% buyers. This would still mean 6000 of the originally
sold GTA02 devices. Hm. We are still far away from this figure with
subscriptions. What are the reasons?

4. a final observation is that I have to conclude that some of us have
no realistic perception of the market prices.

More than 40% would not want to pay more than 200-250 EUR
for a complete GTA04 (even with case etc.).

This makes me really puzzled as the GTA02 was never sold cheaper
than 199 EUR. Isn't getting UMTS, fast 3D graphics any value to the
majority of the Openmoko community?

The cheapest UMTS Android 2.2 device I can currently get in
Germany is at 129 EUR (most likely from some overstock clearance).
Has a 320x240 display, no sensors, no free and open software. No
hardware description, no schematics. Appears to be crap and much
less featured than the GTA04. But the poll result indicates this is the
way we should go. Really?

I wnder how the community thinks it can be done at such low prices?
One answer (that I don't like at all) could be:

	http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-child-labor-2012-1

So please prove my last observation and conclusion to be wrong.

BR,
Nikolaus

Appendix:

Q1	Q2