[QtMoko][GTA04] build QtMoko

Boudewijn wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 28 15:36:50 CET 2012

On Friday 27 January 2012 00:28:31 Boudewijn wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I just came across the build instructions for QtMoko on GTA04. Thanks for
> the elaborate instructions, Radek! I was thinking of giving a build by
> myself of the current git status, and with your qemu-image and those
> instructions I might even succeed :-)

(TL;DR at the bottom)

I thought I was almost there. I didn't know so much about using git though,
and already learned some more last night and morning.

All is copy and paste until "Step 8 - install QtMoko", git checkout v37_gta04.
I didn't have git in my qemu-image yet, so I installed git (and dialog), got
.git-nonexistant-errors and initialized git:

apt-get install dialog
apt-get install git
git init

After that it didn't know anything about QtMoko yet, of course. I figured it
should fetch information from somewhere else, and after some trial and error
found on the front page of github:
root at qtmoko-buildhost:~# git remote add qtmoko
https://github.com/radekp/qtmoko.git -f

It takes its time checking out some 250M of data (this step took most time
waiting for a step to complete so far, apart from me figuring)

Then another remote for the kernel:
root at qtmoko-buildhost:~# git remote add radeklinux
https://github.com/radekp/linux-2.6/ -f

and look for a recent kernel:
git checkout v3.2-gta04-qtmoko-v38

Now I got stuk.
* Create package in buildhost:
cd linux-2.6
dpkg-buildpackage

I am in /root of the buildhost. I think the checkout happened to that
directory instead of linux-3.2...:
root at qtmoko-buildhost:~# pwd
/root
root at qtmoko-buildhost:~# ls
COPYING        Kbuild       Makefile        arch    debian    fs       ipc
mm          samples   sound  usr
CREDITS        Kconfig      README          block   drivers   include  kernel
net         scripts   src    virt
Documentation  MAINTAINERS  REPORTING-BUGS  crypto  firmware  init     lib
qtopiacore  security  tools
root at qtmoko-buildhost:~#

I installed dpkg-cross, so I could run dpkg-buildpackage on something in
/root:
root at qtmoko-buildhost:~# apt-get install dpkg-cross
root at qtmoko-buildhost:~# dpkg-buildpackage
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: debhelper (>= 7) quilt (>=
0.40) uboot-mkimage
root at qtmoko-buildhost:~# apt-get install debhelper quilt uboot-mkimage

The dpkg-buildpkg exits with an error:

  Generating include/generated/mach-types.h
  CC      kernel/bounds.s
  GEN     include/generated/bounds.h
  CC      arch/arm/kernel/asm-offsets.s
In file included from include/linux/kernel.h:12,
                 from include/linux/sched.h:55,
                 from arch/arm/kernel/asm-offsets.c:13:
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.4.5/include/stdarg.h:40: internal compiler
error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,
See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.4/README.Bugs> for instructions.
make[2]: *** [arch/arm/kernel/asm-offsets.s] Error 1
make[1]: *** [prepare0] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root'
make: *** [build-stamp] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2
root at qtmoko-buildhost:~#

Is that "expected" with the current status of Linux v3.2-gta04-qtmoko-v38 ?
Should I submit a bug report according to readme.bugs?

Besides that, it says (way at the start):
* Remove /etc/network/run and do make dir /etc/network/run
  Otherwise fstab mounting will fail for this directory
rm /media/card/etc/network/run
mkdir /media/card/etc/network/run

I probably don't write anything unknown here (and have no other solution
anyway), but it's not a directory initially, but a link:
root at qtmoko-buildhost:/media/card/dev# ls -latrh /media/card/etc/network/
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   16 Jan 27 22:39 run -> /dev/shm/network

Once I'm through, is it helpful if I give a try to expanding the guide with my
findings, or should it not be necessary to get those dependencies in the first
place?

TL;DR:
* I got an error compiling a (development snapshot?) kernel 3.2 for GTA04,
should I submit a bug report or not? Is it something that is not supposed to
happen, given the current state of that branch?
* the guide is mostly copy/paste, is it helpful if I expand it with apt-get
for missing dependencies in my buildhost-image?

Thanks for the effort in the buildhost and the guide!

Boudewijn