New $200 tablet?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at
Mon Jan 30 21:19:44 CET 2012

>> Anyway - in my opinion so far this is a lot of fuzz about hardly anything.
> It'll be one of very few tablets that run linux without needing an anti-vendor
> port. That's a good thing in my book, even if it's not ideal.

It was an intersting experience when we did the Letux 400 3 years ago. It already
came with Linux (2.4.20) and there was a 2.6.24 kernel. And a 2.6.31 project.

I.e. a full netbook with Debian and WLAN @ 129 EUR. A nice machine when it
came out. And still nice to open and learn electronics (schematics are public).

Anyways, we still have some of them [1]...

Nobody was/is interested in a really low cost device. It very soon lacks important
features and the processor is outdated.

This is the reason why we strive for  high-end in the GTA04. Even if it makes
it expensive for the masses. This avoids becoming obsolete before it
starts shipping.