About the future of the freesmartphone.org middleware

Simon Busch morphis at gravedo.de
Sat Jul 21 20:45:26 CEST 2012

Hey everybody,

as a lot of you may have noticed we did two releases in the past months
of the FSO stack. Both were related to bring stability and consistence
to the stack. Now I want to talk with you about the future of the stack.
In the past we were only concentrating on getting new hardware supported
and lost our real focus on creating a middleware suitable for
embedded/specific-purpose devices. This is where I want to go back to
and get into development again.

In the last weeks I looked over several parts we have in our stack and
tried to find out where we can improve and get into development of new
features again. A lot of you have stability in mind as you want to use
something with FSO on your daily phone. Thats the second peace which
should be part of the core development focus of the Freesmartphone.org
middleware.

Getting new features is fast said but I have several things on my list
where I want to improve FSO in the next weeks and months. Everything is
focused on the core stack which is formed by our framework libraries and
the three daemons fsodeviced, fsogsmd and fsousaged. We have other
daemons like fsotdld as well but that will be not on my focus. If
someone wants to step up with further development of these just go on
and get in contact. But please don't get me wrong: I will support all
other daemons like fsoaudiod and fsotdld in the next releases too but
just not doing any development related work for them.

For fsogsmd there are the following things on my list:

1. Get the last peaces of not implemented things in like conference or
emergency calls
2. Several API cleanups
3. Get several bugs fixed
4. Do integration testing with a remote controlled phonesim so we can
simulate incoming calls etc. This will also included integration testing
with a remote controlled fsogsmd on another device
5. Multi device support: While working in HFP HF support in fsogsmd I
discovered that things would be easier if we can control more than one
modem with the same daemon at the same time. Think about phone with
support for more than one SIM card. Work has already started for this in
the morphis/multi-device branch of the cornucopia repository.
6. Cleanup of the modem status handling: right now the modem status and
SIM/network status are too much tight together. We have cleanly separate
them.
7. Internally we don't separate a modem from a AT based modem; that
needs to be fixed
8. A lock-down mechanism to keep anyone out when doing a firmware
upgrade. When doing a firmware upgrade of a modem we have the problem
that nobody should access the modem while this is in progress. The idea
is now to implement a dbus API to lock the modem by requesting a lock
and only the requesting program can unlock the modem again. While the
modem is locked nobody else can access the modem via fsogsmd.

fsousaged:
- nothing right now

fsodeviced:
- nothing right now

lib*:
- I am thinking about grouping all libraries together so just have one
single framework library and don't need to maintain several small
libraries which increases the complexity of release testing, ABI
refinements, etc. Just one libfsoframework; this is only a thought in my
head right and nothing concrete.

That are some of my toughs were I want to go with FSO in the next
months. So no focus on concrete devices but getting the stack itself
forward to be ready for every kind of a device.

I would be really happy to hear what other people are thinking about the
idea behind FSO since it was started back in 2008. What are your missing
features? What do you like and what not?

regards,
Simon

--
Simon Busch - http://mm.gravedo.de/blog/