sandwich case idea

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 27 18:46:36 CEST 2012

On Friday 27 July 2012 14:58:11 Alfa21-mobile wrote:
> hello,
> what do you think about a multi layer case like this one, but made for GTA*
> ? http://www.pibow.com/

I suggested that method some time ago. I started started modelling it but ran
out of cad skill. Perhaps I should have started with cardboard and a knife
instead.

Points to consider:
Acrylic gives beautiful edges but is fairly brittle. Other plastics may be
mechanically better but won't cut so cleanly. Plywood might work well..
Thickness tolerance in sheet plastics is quite large, so design with it in
mind. Cut tolerance is good enough to engineer press fits between cut
surfaces.
Buttons need some thought, and probably some experiment.

It would be easier to house a board designed with this sort of housing in mind
than to retrofit to boards built for an injection moulded case.