How to bring forward the community?

Fernando Martins fernando at cmartins.nl
Sat Mar 3 13:35:13 CET 2012

On 03/03/2012 11:09 AM, Lionel Broche wrote:
> well, I think you just have to look at the capabilities of IMAP5 to
> see that the next generations of phone/tablet will have 3D support,
> both for display and webcam (I think IMAP5 supports 2 webcam ports).
> So IMHO the big manufacturers are now focusing on including 3D instead
> of designing new concepts.
>
> About the choice of keyboard, from what I read on this thread I think
> that one of the main issue is the feedback. Touch keyboard give you a
> feedback via the feeling of the fingertips, so you don't need to focus
> your attention to it. Maybe using an audible 'clic' would be an
> alternative for touch screen keypads? or using an electric discharge
> to trigger the user's nerves :) (though this may lower the battery
> life...)

I guess all improvements on the soft keyboard are nice but keeping the
screen free with a solidly attached keyboard like the N900 is
incomparably much better. Put yourself in a queue for 3 hours while
using email and browser under stress.

Would the GTA04 fit in the case of a N900 and would it be unrealistic to
buy the case from Nokia?

Anyway, although the keyboard is an interesting discussion, I still
think the main hurdle to increase de community and its involvement is
the current price and the lack of a complete phone solution. Also, as
pointed out by others, missing an SMS, as it happened to me with qtmoko
(3.4?) is a major show-stopper.

I think the current approach of marketing the hardware flexibility is a
good one, albeit with a smalle market. I guess it could actually be more
useful for industry than individuals, but the concept of designing a
mobile to fit the specific needs of a company might be too unheard off,
needing a bigger/smarter marketing effort.

Fernando