what to with 02 when upgrading to 04? was: Re: How to bring forward the community?

Fernando fernando at cmartins.nl
Mon Mar 5 11:56:56 CET 2012

On Mar 5, 2012 10:33 "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com>
wrote:

> Hi Fernando,
>
> Am 05.03.2012 um 11:01 schrieb Fernando Martins:
>
> > On 03/05/2012 10:36 AM, Al Johnson wrote:
> > >
> > > There are a few places you can 'order' a donation, but I don't
> > > know how well
> > > known they are.
> > > <http://www.handheld-linux.com/wiki.php?page=GTA04&referer=GTA04-E
> > > arly-Adopter>
> > > <http://www.handheld-linux.com/wiki.php?page=Openmoko%3ACommunity>
> > >
> > The problem is that such a blind donations link is to vague and
> > non-transparent. It's not an exciting rallying point for a
> > community.
>
> Yes this is a problem. These donations help to cover general cost e.g.
> of running servers, development and have been used to reduce the price
> a little. But future donations should not change the price of the
> group tour.
>
> But as far as I see the intention is that there are some community
> members who want to specifically donate. We already have some orders
> where someone did do a full reservation with open shipment address and
> there was some private mail discussions of providing more kernel
> developers with a device.
>
> So please specify here what you would do in return, if you would
> receive such a "free" unit. Then, the donators (who are following this
> list) can contact you directly.
>
> > Nikolaus, would there be a way to define a more concrete donation
> > goal, eg., buying a specific batch of parts, that would help
> > goldelico achieve the group order?
>
> Yes, that is a good idea and can be technically done.
>
> The problem is that it is difficult to exactly track this. Let's
> assume someone donates 200 EUR, this would mean that we can reduce the
> group tour price by 200/350 EUR, i.e. 57 ct. This is quite difficult
> to calculate and translate into a real refund to everyone.
>
> And I think reducing the price for new incoming orders (each donation
> reduces the 499 EUR by some cents) only would't be fair to those who
> already have ordered. Although it would be the easiest to implement
> scheme.

I agree that reduction in prices is not the most interesting way to go.

Donating mobiles to developers in exchange for specific software
improvement looks like a good idea.

The suggestion of targeting a specific batch of parts was not meant as a
translation into price reductions. The current orders would also
contribute their share to the batch. The suggestion was merely done in
case there are components that must be ordered in a batch now to achieve
important price reductions and other parts that could be bought on a
as-needed basis.

Fernando