How to bring forward the community?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at
Tue Mar 13 23:43:40 CET 2012

On 02/29/2012 05:35 AM, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
>> Then, we have to define a keyboard layout. QWERTY or ABCDEF. Add
>> numeric keys or make them Num+QWERTY to save one row of keys.
>> And to unsimplify, we need a US, a UK, a German, a French, an Italian
>> layout and maybe Chinese, Japanese etc. This is doable by exchanging
>> keycaps or keymats - but we have to stock and provide several different
>> ones.
> Layout could be changed via software.
> What is actually printed on keys, does not matter much, it is changable on
> user side.

Or just don't print it, a la .  :)

For me, it's the tactile feedback of a hardware keyboard I like--and I
don't mean making the phone vibrate or the whole screen's "clicking"
down or the phone's making a click sound when I hit a key, but being
able to clearly /feel/ the edges of the keys so I know what key I'm
hitting before I hit it and even when my finger is covering the keys.
No idea if you could simulate it well enough with something like
Senseg's (electro-static) haptics technology ( + ), but I have my doubts,
and I'm sure patents and licensing costs make that a no-go, anyway.