Perfect on screen keyboard?

Radek Polak psonek2 at
Thu Mar 15 21:41:04 CET 2012

while we are talking about hw keyboard, it would be also nice to discuss
software keyboard. My impression is that nobody really tried to make a perfect

So here is my idea:

the has standard qwery layout. The keys are twice as high as wide. Two keys
are always grouped in one square - like in the picture:

| q w | e r | t y |

You can press the letter and it normally types it. But you can also press and
hold the square and move left/right and it types the left or right letter in
square. E.g.

	press and hold "qw" sqare, move to left and release: it types q
	press and hold "qw" sqare, move to righ and release: it types w

This has the advantage, that you are targeting twice as big square.

You can see it in action here:

Maybe there could be 4 letters in square variant:

| q w | e r |
| a s | d f |

where you press the square and select letter by moving

Any other ideas for nice and usable keyboards?