Advance OpenStreetMap surveying with GTA04?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sun Mar 18 18:50:36 CET 2012

Am 18.03.2012 um 13:16 schrieb Mayeul Kauffmann:

> Hi,
> I'm looking for a handled GPS device for advance OpenStreetMap surveying
> and I hope the GTA04 Phoenix would do what I need.
> A few words on the project: 80-day mapping party, hiking, crossing the
> Alps (Summer 2012),  20 people involved (many of them for just a few
> days). Sleeping in Alpine Huts. Hiking and surveying during the day, if
> possible OSM editing in the evening (with a netbook).
>
> I need a GPS receiver to:
> 1- find our way
> 2- know what is already in OSM database (with full tags)
> 3- take pictures with advance surveying data (heading, precision)
> 4- save track with advance surveying data (precision)
>
> For 1 and 2, I am aware of some OSM-related software that should do it,
> see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Openmoko
> Still I do not know how well the GTA04 hardware is integrated into this.
> For 3 and 4, I need precision-related NMEA fields, as many as possible
> (at least HDOP -Horizontal Dilution of Precision-, other data like
> number of satellites, signal strength... is bonus). Saved in GPX and/or

all are available.

> in exif. If possible: get a music alert when precision is low; have HDOP
> ready to show as circles in JOSM.
> For the picture, I need to save lat-long position + heading (angle to
> North) of picture (in exif or elsewhere; tilt is bonus). Post-processing
> is an option for position but probably not for heading and tilt.
> How good are the pictures? Are there online examples of pictures taken
> with the GTA04?

We do not yet have a working Linux driver (the existing driver does not
initialize the image capture subsystem correctly) and therefore we have
not been able to take pictures for quality comparisons. Volunteers to fix
the bugs are welcome...

Generally 1.3 Mpix is good for snapshots but not for taking high quality pictures.
So you should take a digital camera and connect both through USB/OTG.