Advance OpenStreetMap surveying with GTA04? / compass

Mayeul Kauffmann mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr
Sun Mar 18 22:47:06 CET 2012

Hi Ed,
Thanks for the explanation on "course"!

GPS-based heading is good for car driving and OK for road biking, not
for slow travels:
Position error jumps a few meters every seconds, hence if you do not
move, the GPSr believes you move at 1 to 4 km per hour in random
directions.
So GPS-based heading must be taken with care for mountain biking and
extreme care for hiking.
Here I need to know the heading of a picture. Typical uses are:

Example 1: stay in the middle of a path or track junction; take 4
pictures, in each of the directions of the 4 paths or tracks; mark the 4
ways on OSM with the way path, width, etc.
Example 2: take pictures of signpost, side shrine etc. and remember on
which side of the track they are.

You need a compass heading for this. If current compass heading can be
recorded with a bash command I can do the rest, typically develop a GUI
that will send, at the send time, the command to save the compass
heading and the command to take the picture (then with 'sed' I filter
the heading/positions and write it into the jpeg image header with
jhead).
(Except that Nikolaus Schaller from goldelico says the camera driver is
not working for the moment)

Cheers,
Mayeul