[Gta04-owner] Advance OpenStreetMap surveying with GTA04? / camera & heading

mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr
Mon Mar 19 13:44:14 CET 2012

Hi,
Thanks Christoph. Comments below:
> There exists a simple hack that reads the raw
> acceleration values from the chip and delivers them to userspace using
> a sysfs file

I've read [0] but could not find it description of this hack. Any pointer and sample strings?

The LSM303DLH combines both 3D compass and accelerometer, so is the HMC5883L usefull for this application?

So one idea is to put some tilt logic in the code here:
http://gitorious.org/vala-compass/vala-compass/trees/master/src
Or write a piece of code that takes the raw data and output tilt-corrected magnetic heading.
I found out some math and code (for Arduino) that could be re-used. Most interesting are [3] to [5]:

[1] Has nice geometric discussion and code, but cannot correct for tilt over 40 degrees. Saysthere are other (more complex) algorithms for tilt > 40°.
[2] Give some pointers to scientific articles, including I believe for 360 degrees correction.
Note that typical use is keeping the device vertical, so code in [1] is not OK
[3] Discusses the LSM303DLH chip included in the GTA04, and gives 2 links for code computing the tilt-corrected heading:
[4] Arduino code for LSM303DLH
[5] In "Ressources" tab: "library for the ARM mbed development board that interfaces with the LSM303DLH 3D compass and accelerometer carrier and provides the tilt-compensated magnetic heading"

Isn't [5] the closest to what would be needed? Could it serve as a basis?

Cheers,
Mayeul

[0] http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/page/Mainline-Status/#wikititle_27
[1] https://www.loveelectronics.co.uk/Tutorials/13/tilt-compensated-compass-arduino-tutorial