[Debian] Preinstalled minimal image available for Neo FreeRunner

elf Pavlik perpetual-tripper at wwelves.org
Thu Mar 22 15:25:20 CET 2012

Excerpts from Timo Jyrinki's message of 2012-03-21 16:24:25 +0000:
> 2011/9/12 Timo Jyrinki <timo.jyrinki at gmail.com>:
> > Just to let you know, that since I tested that install.sh [1] is
> > working now, I'm making available a snapshot of a minimal Debian
> > installation since I had a clean install anyway [2] - see file
> > "Debian_NeoFreeRunner_minimalrootfs_20110912.tar.xz".
>
> About the same story repeated, but for 2012. I was asked about the
> pre-installation image which prompted me to update it. And while
> updating it I noticed that install.sh had a couple of problems, which
> I fixed:
> - Removed obsolete fso-gpsd
> - Install fso-gtaXX instead of fso-config-gtaXX
> - Removed obsolete zhone
> - Offer phoneui-apps in COM
> - Switch from experimental (unneeded) to unstable for the main Debian repository
>
> I only tried minimal installation still, though. I also updated
> instructions for install.sh usage at
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnFreeRunner - note mainly that you
> probably want to remove openmoko-panel-plugin since its functionality
> starts to be limited and it eats most of the CPU for no good reason.
>
> The pre-installed minimal rootfs is now at:
> http://people.debian.org/~timo/NeoFreeRunner/
> (Debian_NeoFreeRunner_minimalrootfs_20120321.tar.xz)
>
> It expects a single partition on the MicroSD card where the tar.xz is
> unpacked and a Qi bootloader.
>
> SSH:ing in works after booting (root password 'changeme'), and after
> apt-get install foxtrotgps gpsd navit omhacks monav midori wicd
> lxterminal phoneui-apps you may actually get something useful done. If
> you want some "home UI" to use when not attached to computer, you may
> try my hacky and ugly https://github.com/tjyrinki/tihos
>
> As for my own setup, it's still the old
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/User:TimoJyrinki with FSO1 actually, but
> I now did this update to enable others more easily to do something
> useful.
>
> -Timo

Great! Thank you very much =)

First thing I did when setting it up, I've changed IPs as in new SHR:

NOTE: IP adresses are changed in new SHR-CORE images after 110822, phone 192.168.7.2 host: 192.168.7.1

It makes bit more sense to me than taking chance with ..0. ;)

~ elf Pavlik ~