*.openmoko.org infrastructure

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu May 17 16:32:52 CEST 2012

Hi,

Am 17.05.2012 um 15:52 schrieb Joerg Reisenweber:

> Do  17. Mai 2012
>> So I suggest to everyone on this mailing list to give an
>> indication like this:
>
> FIRST: look at my mail addr! Guess where it's hosted.

Yes, I know. But there are estimatedly 100k other addresses to host a (private)
mailbox.

And, how many people are using this service? I doubt that there are more than 5...

> SECOND: there's quite some stuff in /home/* and other places of several of
> those servers, that's definitely not meant to go public. There are internal
> ML, datasheets and even sources under NDA, whatnot.

IMHO, that should be moved to openmoko.com if it is owned by Openmoko, Inc.

> I don't like this to get handed out to random admin folks. Sean as well will

I 150% agree for sensible information. Nobody would trust us any more
if that happens.

> rise objections (if he's aware of the problem) [Sean, you know I always been
> one of the most vivid proponents of disclosing *everything* to public, but
> there are definitely both legal and privacy limitations in doing so here.
> Harald's assumption that stuff is nicely separated on several vservers might
> not hold true, e.g already passwords for wiki user accounts must not get
> disclosed. I'm extremely sceptic about the direction this thing moves here]
>
> THIRD: svn.openmoko.org has been missing since weeks now, and that's where the

I am just wondering who is using the SVN? If not the community, who else?

> whole hassle started. So assuming we can solve the problem by shutting down
> even more of the infra is the wrong angle to tackle the issue. Even if we find

It would simplify things if areas that nobody is using any more can be closed.

> ${WHATEVER}.openmoko.org is a service not actually used anymore, even if we
> spot 80% of the ML being zombie state, we still need infra for the remaining
> stuff that's evidently used. So no use in such a poll right now - distracting.

My observation (as a pure voluntary community member and not related at all
to Openmoko, Inc.) is that there isn't much being evidently used. But I don't
claim to know everything: therefore the poll is useful.

BR,
Nikolaus

BTW: there is also git.openmoko.org which is up and running.