*.openmoko.org infrastructure

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Thu May 17 16:51:41 CEST 2012

Do  17. Mai 2012
> Hi,
>
> Am 17.05.2012 um 15:52 schrieb Joerg Reisenweber:
> > Do  17. Mai 2012
> >
> >> So I suggest to everyone on this mailing list to give an
> >> indication like this:
> >
> > FIRST: look at my mail addr! Guess where it's hosted.
>
> Yes, I know. But there are estimatedly 100k other addresses to host a
>  (private) mailbox.

That's not the point though. I'm already preparing to move my mail addr
somewhere else, resp propagate another main mail addr. This will take some
time. But the main concern is my *private* mails are on those servers!

> And, how many people are using this service? I doubt that there are more
>  than 5...

Maximum, or less. See above though.

> > SECOND: there's quite some stuff in /home/* and other places of several
> > of those servers, that's definitely not meant to go public. There are
> > internal ML, datasheets and even sources under NDA, whatnot.
>
> IMHO, that should be moved to openmoko.com if it is owned by Openmoko, Inc.

There's no such thing like openmoko.com anymore for such stuff, afaik.
Anyway, again not the point. *WHO* is doing that move/cleanup?

> > I don't like this to get handed out to random admin folks. Sean as well
> > will
>
> I 150% agree for sensible information. Nobody would trust us any more
> if that happens.

Exactly!

> > THIRD: svn.openmoko.org has been missing since weeks now, and that's
> > where the
>
> I am just wondering who is using the SVN? If not the community, who else?

it's always "the community" ;-D
For svn there is a number of indispensable stuff in there, e.g. all the nifty
tools of Werner Almesberger. He recently noticed "Dang, svn down!" /join #qi-
hardware and ask him, see chanlogs.

> > whole hassle started. So assuming we can solve the problem by shutting
> > down even more of the infra is the wrong angle to tackle the issue. Even
> > if we find
>
> It would simplify things if areas that nobody is using any more can be
>  closed.

Sure thing. But introducing the process of finding out _what_ can get shut
down now is actually temporarily complicating things a lot.

> > ${WHATEVER}.openmoko.org is a service not actually used anymore, even if
> > we spot 80% of the ML being zombie state, we still need infra for the
> > remaining stuff that's evidently used. So no use in such a poll right now
> > - distracting.
>
> My observation (as a pure voluntary community member and not related at all
> to Openmoko, Inc.) is that there isn't much being evidently used. But I
>  don't claim to know everything: therefore the poll is useful.

The poll will again just reach those that are aware of it. So you don't find
out good data about who's really using the stuff. Heck, are we discussing
*deletion of data* here? You know the internet isn't supposed to ever forget a
singly byte ;-D. We should try to make this urban legend hold true, at least
for OM. E.G. I'm not 'using' *anything* of the svn et al stuff right now,
nevertheless I think I don't have a local copy of uBoot-dirtymoko and Werner's
nand-tools to flash it to a device in a year or two, when I come up with some
fancy project I want to do with these devices in my shelf.

/j