Help needed with GSM Geolocation without GPS

robin spielraum at web.de
Mon Nov 5 17:01:21 CET 2012

Hi,

I wanted to give the GSM location a try. So what I would like to acchieve in
the end is:

0. GPS off
1. GSM Cells are detected
2. Triangulation takes place (I don't know yet if eg signal strength is used)
3. Look-up in the OpenCellID offline (!) text database
4. Position being shown in NeronGPS as in eg in the Whereabouts-Mappingdemo
  shown on the QtMokoDev Page [1]

So I started with step 1 and I am a bit stuck. The numbers for the location
that the Mokofaen theme displays somehow do not match any of the cell towers
my phone is most likely to be connected to:
Most likely I am connected to
mcc 262; mnc 3; lac 40096 and cellid 137380532 [2]
which has nowhere the numbers I get on my home screen:
296/25326
So where am I going wrong.
The next question would be: Is there a simple way to get the other surrounding
cells and their signal strength (I remember openbmap client was able to do
that in shr-unstable).

thanks for your advice

robin

[1] http://radekp.github.com/qtmoko/api/whereabouts-mappingdemo.html