QtMoko v49

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Sat Nov 17 16:43:05 CET 2012

Hi,
QtMoko v49 for GTA04 is now available [1]. There have been really many changes
this time so be careful :) Complete changelog is here:

  * using gstreamer as media engine instead of cruxus
  * using pulseaudio for sounds
  * using pasuspender to pause media during calls and state switching
  * fixed DTMF tones on gta04 (Neil Jerram)
  * fixed USSD message box size (Stefan Rupp)
  * A3 earpiece state uses HiFi priority (Neil Jerram)
  * modem is now in 3g mode since modem usb disconnect fix is in kernel
  * modem dissapearing from usb in now logged to /modem_reenumerate.log
  * lot of work on debian package (Gilles Filippini)
  * fixed pkg-config handling (Gilles Filippini)
  * ogg metadata plugin (Neil Jerram)
  * fixed empty email content with windows charset (Neil Jerram)
  * fixed some email content displaying (Neil Jerram)
  * fixes in QtMaze accelerometer (Neil Jerram)
  * improvements in svg layouts (adrien)
  * arora and qx use new accelerometer library (Neil Jerram)
  * arora provides web access e.g. for web links in email (Neil Jerram)
  * mokofaen - space for 10 and more satellites (Neil Jerram)
  * qmplayer scans for webm and mkv now too
  * ssh access in allowed only on usb now (Paul Ferster, lindi)
  * updated build instructions - cross building is now done in chroot
  * using now glib even loop
  * parallel make option in configure for -build-qt option
  * pc build
  * kernel changes:
  * external gps antenna should work now (Christoph Mair)
  * avoid errors by stoping omap DMA channels before unlinking (Neil Brown)
  * CONFIG_TIDSPBRIDGE=m so that we can use dsp
  * jffs2 as module so that we can mount hw validation in nand
  * fixed modem disapearing from usb (Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller)

The most important thing is that ringtones and sound in calls should now
thanks to gstreamer and pulseaudio work. It basically works now like this:

All sound goes to pulseaudio. When there is a call the state switching and sw-
voice routing is done via pasuspender. Pasuspender pauses all other audio
streams and closes soundcard so that alsactl can do state switching and gsm-
voice-routing can route voice.

Please note that pulseaudio is in the image completely unconfigured. It is
launched by /opt/qtmoko/pulse.sh scripts. I have noticed occasional clicking -
this happens when pulseaudio ends and is restarted. I havent discovered yet
why it's ending - maybe "allow-exit = no" option in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf
will help...

You can also try media player - it can now play videos.

Other changes are quite self explaining.

As for future - in master we have now nearly working QtMoko on top of Qt
4.8.3. There is just one bug that has to be fixed and it looks that QtMoko now
also runs decently on debian wheezy/armhf so this could be our target for v50.
We will also have support for html5 video when we switch to qt 4.8 - i have
tested youtube and dailymotion and they work (although with glitches)...

Another thing that would be nice to get fixed is the tarball size. It went
from 98MB to 160MB due to gstreamer dependecies. I wonder how this could be
solved. I dont think we need all the plugins that make it so big, but debian
has all in one big package...

If you are wondering about Freerunner - i am going to skip this release,
there's not much useful for Freeruner now. I will do release for Freerunner
with Qt 4.8 later.

Thanks everybody who helped with this release - special thanks to Neil Jerram
and Gilles!

Enjoy the release

Radek

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtmoko/files/GTA04/