QtMoko backup/restore

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Sun Nov 18 12:49:55 CET 2012

Boudewijn <wankelwankel at yahoo.com> writes:

> Is it not FAT, so that it can be exported as "mass storage"? The rationale
> being, that most host operating systems would have FAT drivers on board?
>

> I think that for many of us, the systems we connect to via USB already have
> drivers for other file systems than FAT.
>

> Do you have an idea of the general area in the QtMoko sources, where there
> might be a check on the FS type? I can try to have a look if I can get anywhere
> with some pointers. Or is there a mass storage standard, that does not allow
> for other FS than FAT?

I'm afraid I haven't yet looked into or thought about the question of
why we use FAT for /media/card, or if FAT is really required.  (I just
followed the partitioning instructions that said FAT, but that was many
moons ago and I can't even quickly find now where those instructions
live.)

I certainly agree with you that probably everyone in our community would
be able to mount a non-FAT filesystem.

Regards,
        Neil