[Gta04-owner] [Community] QtMoko v49

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Mon Nov 19 10:19:46 CET 2012

On Sunday, November 18, 2012 07:19:21 PM arne anka wrote:

> ok, that's another one of my questions: why doesn't qtmoko run as
> non-root? is root access necessary for normal operation?

Qtopia was done by Trolltech guys to run as root.

It can run under regular user, but it needs access to some files like devices
nodes for input, framebuffer, talking to modem, sysfs for reading battery
etc... This is what Stefan is doing here https://github.com/strupppi/qtmoko/

On the other hand - if you allow access to all of these devices then there is
not much difference from security point of view. Applications with full access
to modem can easily do something nasty...

IMO from security point of view it would be best to have different users with
different permissions for each application. And i would start with web
browser...

On the other hand - you have source code and you can easily verify that it
does not do anything malicious.

Regards

Radek