GTA02 Setting time from phone network using NITZ ?

Adam Ward caysho at internode.on.net
Sat Sep 22 10:26:01 CEST 2012

I have a GTA02 which I acquired a few years back and until now I have not
really done anything with it.  Now I want to use it as my main phone.

The automatic setting of the date/time from the providors network (in this
case it is Optus) does not work in qtmoko.  The provider does support this as
I have a another phone that gets this information.

I see there is an old bug from the Nokia days:
http://docs.huihoo.com/qt/qtextended/4.4/release-4-4-3.html
BUG 231983

According to
http://www.scribd.com/doc/30428306/54/AT-CTZU-Automatic-Time-Zone-Update
I should be able to chat to the modem to get some information.

But the following command does not return anything:
root at neo:~# chat -vse '' 'AT+CTZU=?' '' '' > /dev/ttySAC0 < /dev/ttySAC0
send (AT+CTZU=?^M)
send (^M)

syslog shows:
Jan  1 08:13:45 neo chat[1109]: send (AT+CTZU=?^M)
Jan  1 08:13:46 neo chat[1109]: send (^M)

Is there a way to automatically log the AT chat commands ?
Do I have the correct /dev/tty ?

More generally, is this a problem with the calypso firmware, or qt extended /
qtmoko or something else ?