[Shr-Devel] About the future of the freesmartphone.org middleware

Adam Ward caysho at internode.on.net
Sun Sep 23 11:03:02 CEST 2012

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 07:58:18 AM Radek Polak wrote:
> On Saturday, September 22, 2012 10:44:54 PM Neil Jerram wrote:
> > Ah, thanks, I understand your question now: what version of fsogsmd does
> > QtMoko build with, and isn't that now rather out of date?  But I'm
> > afraid I don't know the answers.
>
> I was using FSO from git at the time when i was implementing FSO backend. I
> am quite sure FSO from wheezy will work unless FSO api changed.
>
> However for now it makes no sence to use any dbus modem middleware as
> default. QtMoko's modem library is very stable and works IMO very good. I
> dont see any benefits in using FSO or oFono right now. But still if you
> want to use FSO or oFono the support is in every QtMoko installation - just
> change "export QTOPIA_PHONE=oFono" or "export QTOPIA_PHONE=Fso" in
> /opt/qtmoko/qpe.env and QtMoko will use the dbus backend for telephony.
>
> Regards
>
> Radek

This is getting off topic now :)

I came into this discussion because I want to check the version of the gsm
firmware, to see if it needs to be upgraded.
The wiki has a page on doing this via FSO with dbus [1].  Is there a different
method available ?

The reason I wanted to do this is to see if there is a bug dealing with NITZ
that may have been resolved, but I am not sure at what level in the stack it
is.

According to [2] the AT+CTZU command is supported.
To do this I need to talk to the modem, but nothing is being returned ?
I have tried chat [3] and cu [4] without success.  Trying cu, I typed
AT
and get no response.

Is this a Calypso firmware bug as described by Alex [5] ?

[1] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/GSM/Flashing
[2] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Hardware:AT_Commands
[3] http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2012-September/067496.html
[4] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_1973_and_Neo_FreeRunner_gsm_modem