QtMoko v48 neofreerunner

dmatthews.org mail at dmatthews.org
Sun Sep 23 14:52:10 CEST 2012

Hi Neil, Radek

> However, I think that point is not far above the raw SMTP level, so I
> wonder if it would help to enable SMTP logging and see what that shows?
> To do that, go into Home, Settings, Logging; choose YES twice; then
> choose "Categories..." from the context menu, and check SMTP; then back
> all the way out.  (You don't need to restart QtMoko, despite what it
> says.)
>
> Then repro the sending error.  Then go back into Logging and see what it
> says.

Ok - have tried this and I think I have some useful information.

1) Firstly - attempting TLS connection to my own mail server. The neo connects, sees the certificate and that it is self signed and backs off. That's almost fair enough, but not what I want. Desktop email clients give the option to accept the certificate anyway, either temporarily or permanently and that would be more useful behaviour.

Incidentally this is *not* the problem I believe to be a regression, when I was using earlier versions I never tried to use my own mail server - at the time I didn't have it set up to authenticate, rather just to relay only from my home ip - not much use with the phone, hence historically why I used the fastmail smtp service.

2) On to trying the fastmail server; first using SSL - once again this is *not* what I used to do, so not what I'm reporting as a regression:-

 Encrypted connect warnings: "'The issuer certificate of a locally looked up certificate could not be found', 'The root CA certificate is not trusted for this purpose'"
Sep 23 13:38:19 neo Qtopia: SMTP :  Closed connection
Sep 23 13:38:19 neo Qtopia: socketError: 13 : "The issuer certificate of a locally looked up certificate could not be found"

It does seem to be erroneous behaviour though, the remote server not being involved at all?

3) Finally I attempt unencrypted access to the fastmail server - this is what definitely works in v35 (I tried it just a few days ago):-

Sep 23 13:47:09 neo Qtopia: SMTP :  newConnection
Sep 23 13:47:09 neo Qtopia: SMTP :  Open SMTP connection
Sep 23 13:47:09 neo Qtopia: socketError: 0 : "Connection refused"
Sep 23 13:47:09 neo Qtopia: SMTP :  Closed connection

I'd be most interested in a work around to get 1) working if it's possible, but seems to me to be 3 seperate problems in this one area

Bets wishes
--
David Matthews
mail at dmatthews.org