Crowdfunding an Ubuntu smartphone (right now)

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Thu Aug 22 21:00:24 CEST 2013

Ben Wong <lists.openmoko.org at wongs.net> writes:

> Here's Shuttleworth's upbeat closing comment:
> http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge?c=activity
>
> I wonder if OpenPhoenix has an opportunity now, with all those
> frustrated would-be buyers out there.

Maybe some; I'm pretty sure that there were some number of people who
actually pledged to the Ubuntu Edge campaign *because* it was clear that
the funding trigger-amount was not actually going to be reached. They
decided that it was probably important to _make a showing of support_
for the mobile-phone industry to see, even if that was all that they
were doing (what's a term for that? `guerrilla market research'?).
And it's easier to `put your money where your mouth is', even if
(especially if) you think that you can't really afford it, when you
know that you'll get your money back in a month.

--
"'tis an ill wind that blows no minds."