Crowdfunding an Ubuntu smartphone (right now)

Sebastian Krzyszkowiak dos at dosowisko.net
Thu Aug 22 23:11:24 CEST 2013

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 9:28 PM, Bob Ham <rah at settrans.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-08-22 at 21:19 +0200, Sebastian Krzyszkowiak wrote:
>
>> Well, there are (or were) complete phones based on GTA04 available to
>> buy from Golden Delicious, so yes, OpenPhoenux has already achieved
>> "production of any phone".
>
> The phones consisted of GTA04 motherboards inside second-hand GTA01/02
> cases.  These cases were produced by Openmoko, not "OpenPhoenix".

So what? Those are still phones. Working, functional phones which have
much better specs than GTA02. User wants a free phone, user orders a
free phone, user gets a free phone. Without the need of owning GTA02
and replacing motherboard by himself - and that's what matters.
OpenPhoenux project provides full phone.

If there'll be higher demand, it'll provide new cases. Demand is too
low right now, so old cases are used. I can't see the point of your
argument in this discussion.

--
Sebastian Krzyszkowiak, dos
http://dosowisko.net/