community Digest, Vol 353, Issue 3

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Aug 23 13:15:56 CEST 2013

Am 23.08.2013 um 12:47 schrieb Bob Ham:

> On 2013-08-23 10:38, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> Am 23.08.2013 um 12:10 schrieb Bob Ham:
>
>>> What's the difference between "out of Production" and "production is stopped"?
>>
>> Compare with a train:
>>
>> stopped: is at the railway station and waiting for a green light
>
> I don't understand.  What is the green light with respect to the GTA04?

green light: close to 200 preorders or wishlist entries in the shop.

It is like a train (without fixed schedule) waiting at the station for enough paying passengers. Not people just visiting or looking or discussing that the train should run on a different track.

Yes, a vintage train is perhaps a good comparison with our GTA04.

It costs a lot of money and volunteer work to keep it in operation at a very irregular schedule. And it is more for fun than for real transportation so that passengers pay twice or three times a ticket would cost for the same distance in a modern and more comfortable train. And having a fixed schedule.

But 99% of the world population would never see a benefit in riding a vintage train to go from A to B, e.g. for going to daily work.

Which is similar to our situation that 99,99% of the world population doesn't see a benefit or an impulse to buy a 100% open device or a community built hardware or an Überphone (which is what the Ubuntu Edge campaign has clearly demonstrated).