community Digest, Vol 353, Issue 3

kardan kardan at riseup.net
Fri Aug 23 17:05:03 CEST 2013

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 13:45:20 +0000
Bob Ham <rah at settrans.net> wrote:

> On 2013-08-23 11:27, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> >> The fact that there is *no* money was mentioned.  Here you seem to
> >> be implying some kind of transition from there being no money to
> >> money being available.  How is that transition going to happen?
> >> What's going to cause the green light to go on?
> >
> > People deciding to spend some money instead of complaining that it
> > is too expensive.

We all know
* there is no customer
* there is no money
* there is no campaign
* there is no prospect
* there is no website (that could attract anybody)
* people on this list gave up their dream or just don't care

May the last point be controversial, one has to admit that the below
following thoughts are neither hard to obtain nor new.

> What is going to cause people to decide that?

The well meaning father interrogating it's children. I don't take it as
trolling, as this community is lacking exactly that kind of straight
thinking. So I try to answer.

First one could ask, how many people are interested in such a phone?
According to the just failed campaign a lot.

Second also money was not their problem, but the ridiculous threshold.

Third our community watched them failing without even trying to raise
awareness for our community phone.

Fourth there is no nice advertising I could forward to people in
my family (or anybody with money). It's just all made by and for nerds.

Fifth there is some expectation in the air me to come up with a new
website design. So I better stop here for the next hours to hack
something which will hopefully be better than what we have.

I doubt it will make the key change alone. But it's already good to have
a nice and clear website with downloadable PDF to print out posters to
hang out in shops/hackerspaces/cityhalls/trains or any kind of
alternative shops like the ones where you get already registered ready
to use SIM cards from as these are the places where people care about
anonymity.

Kardan

--
Kardan <kardan at riseup.net>