Re. Building a totally new smart phone

joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Sat Aug 24 02:17:00 CEST 2013

On Sat 24 August 2013 02:04:45 Adam Bogacki wrote:
> I would like to add my vote to the proposal of a totally new non-smart
> phone.
[...]
> I think there is increasing demand for a secure non-smart phone.

There IS NO secure phone! See any of the dozen other mails in this very thread
about that topic.
Or rather, there's not even any insecure phone - means you can't make it more
secure by reviewing the firmware of the modem, since there IS NOTHING insecure
in the firmware. It's not like you could kick out any rogue hidden backdoors
since there aren't any, I won't elaborate again why that's evident. There are
also no flaws in any security related encryptions or whatever that you could fix
in the phone firmware, since those flaws (if any relevant) exist in the protocol
spec and you need to fix both ends, mobile and BTS. And this still leaves all
the other vulnerabilities of all public networks which always allow
eavesdropping on a multitude of levels not under the control of the phone's
firmware.

Increasing demand for secure phone? I offer the only solution: adjust your
habits, improve your knowledge. The phone is as secure as the user who
operates it.

/j
(alas the above page got scrapped due to resignation(!!), so here some
supplementary links:)
http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html
http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil_still.shtml
http://www.gerstbach.at/2004/ascii/ (German)