Releasing GTA04 hardware source files (was: community Digest, Vol 353, Issue 3)

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Aug 24 22:53:23 CEST 2013

Am 24.08.2013 um 22:08 schrieb Paul Wise:

> For the GTA04 adapter board you are already distributing the files
> that Bob Ham is asking for (AFAICT - not an EE).
>
> http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-main/downloads/42/
>
> The adapter board license (CC-BY-SA) is more friendly than the GTA04
> board license (CC-BY-NC-SA).
>
> So I'm wondering about the difference between the two.

the idea is that anyone can even use the adaptor board
blueprint even commercially to allow for the best widespread
use. It will be dramatically modified anyways for a real product
so there is no need to restrict it in any way.

For the PDF the licence is NC. But note that this licence
only includes the copyright of the document. Not the board.
Like you can learn from a book and use the contents.
NC because it requires any commercial use to contact us.
Commercial use means that someone wants to copy
parts e.g. into a textbook.
This does not preclude any licence and use, but allows
to think to ask for some charge for the benefit of the project.

Hope this explains the reasons of the different licenses.
Nikolaus