GTA04-N900 vel. Neo900

joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Wed Aug 28 16:47:51 CEST 2013

On Wed 28 August 2013 10:33:47 Paul Wise wrote:
> There is some info about how different Maemo (all versions) is from
> Debian in these files:
>
> http://dex.alioth.debian.org/census/Maemo/sources.new
> http://dex.alioth.debian.org/census/Maemo/sources.patches
> http://dex.alioth.debian.org/census/Maemo/patches/
>
> These are derived from this data:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Maemo

Maybe related resp helping:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Why_the_closed_packages (NB that's not my POV, usual
disclaimers apply), and
http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_closed_packages

The maemo fremantle porting project is not targeted at creating a fork or new
release of maemo OS, but strictly to keep compatibility from N900 to Neo900 so
users can ideally restore a backup from their old N900 to their new Neo900 and
the device acts exactly like user got used to. Also we don't plan to recompile
the repositories with all the applications, and for the much needed core apps
like dialer we even can't do that since they are closed.

However you're free to run any distro you like on GTA04 and GTA04-N900 aka
Neo900, just the maemo community fremantle porting task force will not bother
about "rebasing on debian" or whatever, the goals of that task force are
clearly defined.

cheers
/j

(alas the above page got scrapped due to resignation(!!), so here some
supplementary links:)
http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html
http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil_still.shtml
http://www.gerstbach.at/2004/ascii/ (German)