the second operating system

joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Tue Dec 10 15:21:17 CET 2013

On Tue 10 December 2013 14:42:56 Christoph Bänsch wrote:
>  I think that fact isn't new. The BIOS on a normal PC is a 'Second OS' too.
> There is one big difference: the BIOS is safer than the firmware of an GSM
> modem.

The one big difference is: BIOS runs on main CPU, modem is a peripheral and for
all "free phones" doesn't even share RAM with CPU. We have a third OS on
lis302, a 4th on camera chip, a 5th inside PMU, on PC we have one in HDD and
one in optical drive. We have one even in SD-card and so on and on

/j
(alas the above page got scrapped due to resignation(!!), so here some
supplementary links:)
http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html
http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil_still.shtml
http://www.gerstbach.at/2004/ascii/ (German)