Ubuntu / Firefox OS for Openmoko

Sebastian Krzyszkowiak dos at dosowisko.net
Fri Jan 11 17:04:28 CET 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Thamos <tigerred at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i am ambiguous about that.
> I think we have already enough Operating Systems with QtMoko and SHR and
> Replicant. (Did i miss a really working distro?)
> But, as it seems to me, we don't have enough software developers, and as
> Mozilla and Ubuntu are big projects, this seems to be a way to use their
> ressources to get some nice features to our phones.
>
> i don't know anything about the OSs themself to evaluate them.
> And i don't know if they are really interested in working with us, as
> you wrote, they are searching big players....
>
> I think the question is if we have people on our side who want to start
> such an project (and try to drag some of their developers in).
>
> greets,
> Thamos

Personally, I think that all we need is some good marketing inside the
community. For many people that do not track Openmoko by themselves,
this project is dead. When I mention it to someone, reaction is very
often "is it still alive? Really?".

Ubuntu and Firefox OS may be good opportunities to use for marketing.
A lot of people inside those two communities will be interested in a
phone that is completely free and allows them to run systems they're
working on without fighting with some closed source binaries. This
will also attract FLOSS-extremists (sorry for term, just couldn't find
out anything better at the moment :D) to those OSes, so benefits will
be mutual.

I think that's the way we should promote ourselves right now. Instead
of aiming for end users, we can attract developers of those projects.
Most of them probably doesn't know about GTA04 at all, or think about
it as a "Freerunner-zombie", which won't last long. If we're able to
show them that OpenPhoenux exists and is constantly progressing,
without repeating Openmoko mistakes from past, then developers for
sure will be interested.

Interested developers -> platform support -> way to reach end-users.

--
Sebastian Krzyszkowiak, dos
http://dosowisko.net/