Ubuntu / Firefox OS for Openmoko

Peter Viskup skupko.sk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 19:51:02 CET 2013

On 01/11/2013 05:04 PM, Sebastian Krzyszkowiak wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Thamos<tigerred at gmx.de>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> i am ambiguous about that.
>> I think we have already enough Operating Systems with QtMoko and SHR and
>> Replicant. (Did i miss a really working distro?)
>> But, as it seems to me, we don't have enough software developers, and as
>> Mozilla and Ubuntu are big projects, this seems to be a way to use their
>> ressources to get some nice features to our phones.
>>
>> i don't know anything about the OSs themself to evaluate them.
>> And i don't know if they are really interested in working with us, as
>> you wrote, they are searching big players....
>>
>> I think the question is if we have people on our side who want to start
>> such an project (and try to drag some of their developers in).
>>
>> greets,
>> Thamos
> Personally, I think that all we need is some good marketing inside the
> community. For many people that do not track Openmoko by themselves,
> this project is dead. When I mention it to someone, reaction is very
> often "is it still alive? Really?".
Agree with you and the main reason is that on openmoko sites there is
plenty not updated information, qtmoko doesn't have webpage promoting it.
All this confused me a lot when I join you some months before. I think
that there is no project management on this front and this community is
somehow self driven without any vision or plans for the future.

> Ubuntu and Firefox OS may be good opportunities to use for marketing.
> A lot of people inside those two communities will be interested in a
> phone that is completely free and allows them to run systems they're
> working on without fighting with some closed source binaries. This
> will also attract FLOSS-extremists (sorry for term, just couldn't find
> out anything better at the moment :D) to those OSes, so benefits will
> be mutual.
Looks like the Ubuntu or Firefox OS are/will be not interesting for
GTA02 users as the new OSes are not optimized for HW with such low
memory. But of course it could help promote OpenMoko.

--
Peter