[Gta04-owner] QtMoko audio state work

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Thu Jan 17 23:17:02 CET 2013

On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 14:43:19 +0100 Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz> wrote:

> > The simplicity of
> > gta04-gsm-voice-routing is appealing, but I know from previous
> > experience that it sometimes fails completely.
>
> For me the problem was that some other program had soundcard open and gta04-
> gsm-voice-routing couldnt open it. If all programs use pulseadio then it can
> be solved with pasuspender, but i wish that alsa had the same functionality.
> Then we could get rid of pulseaudio. Maybe something like this could be
> achieved using alsa plugins.

The "dmix" alsa plugin is intended for this purpose.  If it is active, then
multiple clients can open the device and the sounds they write get mixed
together and played.
A problem with this is that dmix imposes a fixed  (I think) sample size,
which implies a fixed latency which is probably more than the latency we
want.  gsm-voice-routing is quite latency sensitive, both for quality-of-call
and for effectiveness of the echo cancelling.

NeilBrown