Enhancing an RPi with phone capabilities

jcommeli at math.leidenuniv.nl jcommeli at math.leidenuniv.nl
Thu Jan 24 14:59:21 CET 2013

Dear list,

I have been following the discussions on this list with great interest.
Finally I have a project that I would like to work on, but I do not have
all the expertise.
You probably all know about the Raspberry Pi [1] (creditcard size computer
for $35). I was wondering if it would be easy to give it phone
capabilities. And with that, I do not mean only SMS, but also phone calls
(calling and receiving).
I would be very glad to receive pointers about what is needed for this,
both in terms of hardware and software. (Since I have never soldered
before, I would like to know of solutions that work via USB or something
like that.)

I have read quite a bit about Huawei modems and using them for internet
connection + SMS. But there is very little information (as far as I know)
about phone calls.

Best regards,
--
Johan Commelin