Enhancing an RPi with phone capabilities

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 24 17:08:49 CET 2013

On Thursday 24 January 2013 16:18:38 Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> jcommeli at math.leidenuniv.nl writes:
> > capabilities. And with that, I do not mean only SMS, but also phone calls
> > (calling and receiving).
>
> Just plug in a USB 3G modem?

Assuming it's one with voice capability and software support, yes. Some
research will be needed to see if there's a combination of bits known to work
with the Pi.

Ofono is packaged in Raspbian and claims support for a selection of 3G
dongles. Probably the easiest route. I think there's a GUI via a telepathy
module and empathy.

FSO is also packaged, but I don't know what dongle support it has, if any.

Asterisk should work with chan_sebi or chan_dongle, but they don't appear to
be packaged. Elastix may be easier than Raspbian for this.