Enhancing an RPi with phone capabilities

Alex Samorukov ml at os2.kiev.ua
Fri Jan 25 10:26:34 CET 2013

On 01/24/2013 02:59 PM, jcommeli at math.leidenuniv.nl wrote:
> I would be very glad to receive pointers about what is needed for this,
> both in terms of hardware and software. (Since I have never soldered
> before, I would like to know of solutions that work via USB or something
> like that.)
>
> I have read quite a bit about Huawei modems and using them for internet
> connection + SMS. But there is very little information (as far as I know)
> about phone calls.
>
> Best regards,
Technically you can create a gsm phone from this set without too much
probmlems. Pi do have USB connection and running debian, so nothing
should stop you from attaching compatible modem. See
http://code.google.com/p/asterisk-chan-dongle/ for more information and
list of supported modules. But also, to make it looking like a usable
device you will need a screen and some phone stack with UI. Or you can
attach it to any SIP softhone/hardphone and use with Asterisk as
GSM/Voip PBX.