GTA02 grave problems on high speed trains

joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Wed Jul 24 14:53:26 CEST 2013

On Wed 24 July 2013 12:25:07 francesco.devita at mailoo.org wrote:
> Hello
> My GTA02 has a really strange (and frustrating) behaviour
> [...]
>
> I suspect that the primary cause is the gsm modem...
> [...]
> What do you think?
>
> Regards
> Joif

do you have recent GSM-modem-firmware?
See http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/GSM/Flashing
Also see the notorious #1024 bug that may only get fixed in HW but should have
proper workaround in every existing OS for Freerunner.

Other than that, I don't see any vector how poor reception (the only relevant
common denominator parameter of the situations where you encounter those
problems) could have *any* impact on the long list of problems you listed. For
sure device shall not freeze or encounter IO-errors, no matter what's
happening to modem.

Ooh, wait! In poor-signal conditions the modem also needs to use high TX
power. This *could* theoreticaly have impact on whole system when the battery
is very old and worn and thus has high ESR thus creating "brownouts" for whole
system when modem drives its surges of power consumption to the battery. So
maybe swapping battery for a fresh cell (Nokia one, for test purposes. See
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Battery_Questions_and_Answers#Do_other_BL-5.2F6C_compatible_batteries_fit.3F
) might be worth a try.

good luck
jOERG

(alas the above page got scrapped due to resignation(!!), so here some
supplementary links:)
http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html
http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil_still.shtml
http://www.gerstbach.at/2004/ascii/ (German)