Crowdfunding an Ubuntu smartphone (right now)

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Tue Jul 30 20:59:38 CEST 2013

Just in case not everybody saw this on Slashdot already:

    http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge

    "The Ubuntu Edge is the next generation of personal computing:
     smartphone and desktop PC in one state-of-the-art device."

~$800 gets you one, if the fundraiser meets its goal of $32-million in
30 days. They've already raised just over $7-million in just over 7
days; if they can keep up that momentum, maybe they /can/ actually meet
the goal.

I've been trying for a while to allocate about the same portion of my
budget to fund the somewhat similar GTA04 project that Nikolaus / Golden
Delicious is heading (with a perhaps smaller, certainly less visible,
team).

_Really_ hard to fund them both with full purchase-price contributions.
Maybe I should decide already. I've opined a couple of times that I
wish Nikolaus could just sell me a $100 T-shirt so that I can afford to
fund his GTA04 project (or, rather: to help me rationalise making the
donation--I know that he does `sell donations' on the Golden Delicious
web store).

I can certainly afford to contribute _something_ to this Edge
fundraiser; probably a bunch of us can.

And, as of today, you can even get a T-shirt as a reward.

--
"'tis an ill wind that blows no minds."