Crowdfunding an Ubuntu smartphone (right now)

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Jul 31 08:24:06 CEST 2013

Am 30.07.2013 um 20:59 schrieb Joshua Judson Rosen:

> Just in case not everybody saw this on Slashdot already:
>
>    http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge
>
>    "The Ubuntu Edge is the next generation of personal computing:
>     smartphone and desktop PC in one state-of-the-art device."
>
> ~$800 gets you one, if the fundraiser meets its goal of $32-million in
> 30 days. They've already raised just over $7-million in just over 7
> days; if they can keep up that momentum, maybe they /can/ actually meet
> the goal.
>
> I've been trying for a while to allocate about the same portion of my
> budget to fund the somewhat similar GTA04 project that Nikolaus / Golden
> Delicious is heading (with a perhaps smaller, certainly less visible,
> team).
>
> _Really_ hard to fund them both with full purchase-price contributions.
> Maybe I should decide already. I've opined a couple of times that I
> wish Nikolaus could just sell me a $100 T-shirt so that I can afford to
> fund his GTA04 project (or, rather: to help me rationalise making the
> donation--I know that he does `sell donations' on the Golden Delicious
> web store).
>
> I can certainly afford to contribute _something_ to this Edge
> fundraiser; probably a bunch of us can.
>
> And, as of today, you can even get a T-shirt as a reward.

Maybe this is an argument for OpenPhoenux:

"Will the Ubuntu Edge be sustainable and/or hardware hackable?
While we will do our best to keep the hardware as open as possible, these are not the main focus of the project in its first generation. Hardware that’s capable of convergence is the priority." [cited from their "updates" page]

We clearly have the focus on hardware openness - even if we have to compromise on high-end features.