[Community] Growing the Community

joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Fri Jun 14 12:38:15 CEST 2013

On Fri 14 June 2013 09:32:40 Radek Polak wrote:
> On Friday, June 14, 2013 09:19:37 AM Radek Polak wrote:
> > It appears now that we dont have demand/money for building new GTA04 but
> > maybe that does not matter for now... Doing new designs and products on
> > top of GTA04 board might be now more interesting and could bring interest
> > to the openphoenux project.
>
> Maybe we could ask e.g. comunity around blender to design some unusual and
> nice case for GTA04 board?
>
> Regards
>
> Radek

regarding case I never understood the idea behind using the gta02 case. Just
for an arbitrarily picked example, since I know about it a bit: N900 cases and
touchpanels/digitizers and LCD are readily available and they are cheaper and
imho higher quality than the gta02 ones.
While building your own case _still_ is a major PITA, like it been back in
Openmoko Inc times. I even back then company-internally seriously suggested to
find an existing case rather than going through the hassle and expense to get
extremely expensive molds manufactured for producing Openmoko genuine case.
One of the main arguments against it been that our LCD needs to fit into the
case. Now that we rather would like to use an available and cheap LCD rather
than the last few dozen of existing spare parts for gta02, the argument counts
in favour of ME from big companies. There's a rather huge community around
Nokia N900 that is eagerly awaiting any successor with most of the properties
exactly like the N900, regarding hw-kbd, resistive touchscreen etc. Just
pretty please with faster CPU (still OMAP!), more RAM, and more sturdy USB
port. I'd think THAT would be a good project to place a new board into an
available old case and screen.

/j