QtMoko and WPA

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Mar 19 03:30:52 CET 2013

So, now that I replaced the touchscreen  in my GTA02, I can try and
actually use that gizmo.  So I installed QtMoko v54, and it seems to
work fairly well.  But I can't figure out how to connect to my home
wifi.  Part of the problem might be that I don't understand the UI.

Here's what I expect:
- click on some "wifi connect" button.
- auto-select a known network, and/or show me a list of
  available networks.
- I choose my home network.
- seeing it's encrypted, it asks me for the password, connects and then
  remembers the password for next time.

Instead, here's what I did and what happened:
- clock on the house shaped icon.
- click on the "settings" icon.
- select "Internet".
- create a "Wireless LAN" entry with "New" (in the menu).
- fail to understand what to do, so moved back.
- click on the newly created "Wireless LAN".
- it shows me a list of networks, from which I can select mine.
- says it tries to connect but doesn't ask for a password.
- after a while the status reverts to "not connected", indicating
  presumably that the connection failed.
- move back and keep the "Wireless LAN" entry selected.
- select "Properties..." from the menu.
- go to "Wireless Encryption".
- this time I can select my home network from the menu (along with all
  the many others that are in range even no I never showed any interest
  in them).
- even tho the earlier list (the one from which I can try to connect)
  showed that QtMoko knows the network is encrypted, the encryption
  setting defaults to "Open".
- I set it to WPA-PSK.
- I painfully type in the long password, and hit return.
- move back.
- move "forward" to wireless encryption again, to check the password was
  properly recorded.  The display doesn't actually show the password any
  more, but at least the WPA-PSK setting is recorded as well as the
  length of the password: looking OK.
- select "Wireless LAN".
- from the network list shown I select my home network.
- the system says it's trying to connect to my network.
- after a while it reverts to saying the status is "not connected"
  without any information about why.
- I go back to the wireless encryption panel and lo and behold the
  encryption setting for my network is again set to "Open".

I tried it a couple times, in case the error was in the password, but
now I'm pretty sure the problem is elsewhere.

Am I doing something wrong?  Is there some way to get some info about
what went wrong?  Can I provide my network's password via the command
line instead?

        Stefan