[WikiReader] Giving, and last chance to get?

Doug Jones dj6mf at frombob.to
Thu May 23 23:19:02 CEST 2013

I just got an email from Sean recommending this:

http://igg.me/at/wikireaders4kids/x/3095893

It's a non-profit campaign to give WikiReaders to thousands of kids.
Sean is supporting the project, and is helping the organizers to get the
best possible purchase price.

I am signing up too.  Very laudable goals.

But reading between the lines, this looks like it may represent the
end-of-life for this excellent OpenMoko device.  If the hardware
manufacturer has 10,000 units in overstock, of a product that was
released years ago, then they may not be interested in ever making any
more of these.  And if the wikireaders4kids campaign succeeds, all
existing stock may vanish from the marketplace.

So this may be your last opportunity to buy a WikiReader (although I
expect used ones may be available for a long time).  You can get them by
pledging to that campaign, or for $14.99 on Amazon, or other places as
mentioned at the bottom of this page:

http://www.thewikireader.com/

I also see that new content has recently become available for the
WikiReader:

http://thewikireader.com/languagepacks.php

I see that the codebase is still being actively updated:

https://github.com/wikireader/wikireader

I think it would be a shame if this beautiful machine really does go out
of manufacture, never to be updated again.  Wouldn't it be great if this
design could be released as open hardware...