First small steps toward free GSM firmware

Sebastian Krzyszkowiak dos at dosowisko.net
Fri Nov 15 01:59:10 CET 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 1:50 AM, kardan <kardan at riseup.net> wrote:
> The following is more generally related to the GSM subject:
> http://www.osnews.com/story/27416/The_second_operating_system_hiding_in_every_mobile_phone

I really don't understand this article. It's like it's some kind of
surprise that GSM modems run firmware on their processors. It's so
obvious, yet everyone seems surprised and shares this article like it
was something insightful.

Probably you know this, but I feel like clearing it up to some other
readers that may be confused: This whole topic is exactly about such
"OS hiding in the modem" and I guess everyone who was following
Openmoko struggling with firmware bugs already know that it's buggy
and probably not very hard to exploit (AFAIR even some pretty standard
GPRS usage may cause buffer overflows).

--
Sebastian Krzyszkowiak, dos
http://dosowisko.net/