Fundraising for GTA04A5 has started!

joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Fri Nov 22 18:35:43 CET 2013

On Fri 22 November 2013 18:22:40 thomasg wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
>
> <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:

the max. update rate and any updates in the firmware:
> >> On page 15 it says: "3: Defined as current drawn during continuous
> >> operation at a 10Hz update rate." Could this be a hint, that the module
> >> can actually operate at a max. update rate of 10Hz?
> >
> > Unfortunately no. I also stumbled over this sentence but I think they
> > mean the update rate of the current probe, i.e. they did measuer the
> > supply current 10 times per second.
> >
> >> Is there any GTA04 board, which already has a W2SG0084i installed?
> >
> > Yes, about 50 or 80 (I don't remember the exact figure) since the
> > W2SG0004i was EOL and could easily be swapped. Unfortunately we don't
> > have a mapping to serial numbers.
> >
> >> If
> >> so, we could try to query/set the output rate according to chap. 5 "NMEA
> >> Input Messages", using the message ID 103.
> >
> > That one unfortunately only allows to specify the reporting rate in
> > multiples of 1 second, i.e. up to 255 seconds. But not 1/10 sec.
> >
> >> Also chap. 6.2 "OSP Input
> >> Messages" look interesting, especially message 0x81.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >>  Lukas
> >
> > Maybe someone knows a good technical contact to Wi2Wi?
> > I only have very indirect support though a distributor.
>
> I don't think that will help you.
> The interface is SiRF's protocol, not Wi2Wi's and no documentation
> mentions of a mode above 1 Hz.
> To my knowledge, no SiRF chipset has support for a faster rate (at
> least in the frontend, internally, they might).
> So for 5/10 Hz a u-blox would be needed (or a SkyTraq, which are
> available up to 20 Hz).

The question arises what for a update rate of >1Hz is useful anyway. Given the
precision and jitter in GPS position fixes, a higher rate would probably be
useful only for speed values which are derived from doppler effect and thus
independant from the positions the GPS chip calculates. Given the assumption
that the GPS equipment is mounted inside a mobile object to calculate data
about that object's movement and position, maybe exploiting other generic data
sources like accelerometer and gyro might yield better results when combined
with a pretty standard 1Hz GPS.

/j
(alas the above page got scrapped due to resignation(!!), so here some
supplementary links:)
http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html
http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil_still.shtml
http://www.gerstbach.at/2004/ascii/ (German)