Crowdfunding an Ubuntu smartphone (right now)

joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Thu Oct 3 09:13:05 CEST 2013

On Thu 03 October 2013 08:56:43 Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> > I know.  But I'm not talking about swapping the actual CPU or the
> > actual display.  I'm talking about swapping the "CPU module" or the
> > "display module".  I.e. create a standardized module interface around
> > off-the-shelf (i.e. non-standardized) components.
>
> Yes, there is even a standard for an interface between displays and CPU.
> Well, even two or three:
>
> MIPI, LVDS, HDMI/DVI.
>
> > It would have its own cost (in money and in size), but in the long run,
> > I hope the benefits of relying on standardized interfaces would make up
> > for it.
>
> MIPI is already doing all this:
>
> http://www.mipi.org/specifications
> http://mipi.org/about-mipi/mipi-interfaces-mobile-platform
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Industry_Processor_Interface
>
> Everyone is there, ARM, TI, even Apple:

Remains to annotate that all those interfaces have rather tough electrical
specs, e.g. MIPI HSI (often used to interface to modems) has a max PCB trace
length of 15..20mm iirc, among other requirements that basically forbid usage
of any connectors at all, for sure the iuse of cheap connectors.

/j
(alas the above page got scrapped due to resignation(!!), so here some
supplementary links:)
http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html
http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil_still.shtml
http://www.gerstbach.at/2004/ascii/ (German)